Canadian Visitors

New Hampshire’s Grand North proudly neighbors with Canada for 58 miles. Many of our residents work north of the border and many Canadians make the daily trip over the border into New Hampshire as well. As you can imagine we welcome Canadian vacationers with open arms.

The New Hampshire/Canada border crossing is located on U.S. Route 3 between the towns of Pittsburg, New Hampshire, and Chartierville, Quebec. The Pittsburg border crossing station (phone: 819-656-2261) operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, letting visitors enter New Hampshire at any time. The Canadian facility, however, is closed overnight from midnight until 8 a.m., so plan your departure accordingly.

Canadian citizens must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative–compliant documents when entering the U.S. by land:

  • a passport, which must be valid until the date of expected departure; or
  • a NEXUS card; or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
    an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province or territory where a U.S.–approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented; or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status.

Canadian citizens ages 15 and younger require proof of citizenship (an original or a copy of a birth certificate or an original Canadian citizenship card).

The government of Canada advises: “Your Canadian passport is the best document to prove your Canadian citizenship and your right to return to Canada.”

Visitors from Canada can enjoy New Hampshire’s tax-free shopping and bring back varying amounts of goods, duty-free, depending on the length of stay and type of goods.  Complete information can be found here.

For more detailed information our friends at Discover New England have collected more resources to make sure your trip is a smooth one!