By Eileen Alexander
A brand new event will kick off Memorial Day weekend and the summer season in New Hampshire’s North Country. The setting for the 1st Annual Dixville Notch Music, Arts & Crafts Festival, on May 27 and 28, is the beautiful 40-acre Mohawk Falls estate, situated on the banks of the lovely Mohawk River in Colebrook, NH.
Open each day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Festival will feature live performances, demonstrations, workshops, artisan vendors, and displays. Visitors are invited to stroll around the property and enjoy the idyllic outdoor setting that includes a post and beam Pavilion, Gazebo, waterfall, pond and covered bridge. Admission to the event is free.
Highlighted events include internationally applauded singer-songwriter Kyle Carey performing her Gaelic Americana music from 1 to 3 p.m. on Sunday, chainsaw carving demonstrations all weekend long by Baker River Chainsaw Sculpture, and an outstanding exhibit by the artists of Connecticut River Artisan Group.
Several dozen vendors, a mix of talented artisans, crafters and food producers from New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts, will display their wares.
Mohawk Falls is located directly off Route 26 in Colebrook, NH. Look for roadside signage near Dixville Notch. Parking is free and available on site. Pets are not allowed.
Additional information can be found on the Mohawk Falls website: www.mohawkfalls.com, or contact Britni White, Mohawk Falls Event Coordinator, at (603) 237-1898 or [email protected].
Saturday, May 27
- 9-11 a.m. – Art Workshop with artist Michele Johnsen. Still life drawing & painting workshop. $10 per person. Pre-register online.
- 10 a.m.-noon – Live music by “Old Gold.” Rocks, blues & folk music from the ‘50s to today.
- 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Garden Flavors Culinary Demo by the Ecovillage Institute. Taste and learn about herbs.
- 1:45-2:30 p.m. – The Graceful Piano Stylings of Sharon Pearson.
- 4-5 p.m. – Open Jam Session led by Bobie Bunnel of Roberta’s Studio. Festival-goers are invited to bring their instruments.
Sunday, May 28
- 9-10 a.m. – WhiteWolf & Friends, Playing the Blues. Featuring Ed Schoenly’s blues harp.
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. – Live Music by 3 Rivers. An eclectic mix of music by a local three-man band.
- 10:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. – Basket Weaving Workshop by Deeda’s Baskets of Vermont. Make a basket to take home. $20 per person. Pre-register online.
- 12:30-1 p.m. – Teen/Adult Jazz & Hip Hop by Step by Step School of Dance. Kick up your heels and learn to dance.
- 1-3 p.m. – Gaelic Americana Concert with singer-songwriter Kyle Carey.
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. – Music from the ‘60s to today with Mario Marquis.
- 3:15-4 p.m. – Pottery Demo by local potter Linda Tase.
- 4:15-5 p.m. – “Golden Hour” Photography Workshop with Fran Bigney. A fun workshop to learn this art form by walking around the property. $10 per person. Pre-register online.